“Is your vocabulary in another language about to be tested? Now you can quickly practise the words on your iPhone, iPad or iPhone touch. Do you have a moment in between classes? That’s the perfect time to work on your word skills.”
Size: 4,7 MB
Rating App Store: ★★★
Available: iOS, Web application
This application is a digital language snack. It can be used to differentiate or just to recapitulate the vocabulary or grammar offered in previous lessons. In this way the pupils choose which vocabulary they want to repeat, and can swot or cram for a test.
The content is added by the pupils themselves, depending on the subject matter that has already been presented to them.
This is a more attractive way to practise vocabulary than just covering up half of the page in their coursebooks.
|The content needs to be added by the pupils themselves, which can be dangerous for spelling errors or even mistakes.|
- The pupils can make up their own list of words they have not mastered yet. The teacher takes notice of these words and discovers where revision is necessary. In this way a pupil helps his teacher.
- Peer tutoring: a stronger pupil can make up questions for a weaker student, which will improve his own knowledge of the subject. These questions could range from translating words, to a gap-fill sentence expecting the form of a verb. The weaker student, by contrast, gets to revise the subject matter and even ask questions of his partner. This will result in a deeper understanding for both parties. Due to the nature of the app, the questions are limited to vocabulary and forms of verbs. An actual content question could be made but the answer given will have to exactly match the answer expected. Parroting knowledge is generally discouraged.
- Pupils can study vocabulary in an independent way.
- Pupils can work independently.
- Pupils can distinguish collocations, word partnerships and chunks in the different Wrts-drills they create.
- Pupils can create their own exercises concerning vocabulary.
- Pupils can formulate their biggest difficulties concerning vocabulary.
- Pupils can consult their subject matter when coming across difficulties.
- Pupils can spontaneously show their results to the teacher, in order for the teacher to keep track of their progress.